Thursday, May 15, 2014

Step Up

Do you ever wonder if you're doing good enough? I know I do. I wonder if I'm doing everything Heavenly Father wants me to do, or if I'm way off course. It's not always easy for me to tell either. We're often told "just do your best", yet we're always being asked to do better. As missionaries, we are constantly being taught and encouraged to do more and improve. We're asked to be exactly obedient, to be completely diligent, to use our time wisely, and to listen to the Spirit. For some, including myself, this never ending expectation of improvement can become overwhelming, and even disheartening.

In order to overcome those feelings, I had to understand this: Just because someone encourages you to improve, doesn't mean you are failing right now. Whenever I heard "you can do ________ better," in my mind I also heard "you're not doing ________ good enough." I figured if I'm being asked to improve, that must mean right now I
stink. If I were doing things right, then I wouldn't be asked to do better. This is DANGEROUS thinking. This is a quick path to living a very miserable life. We must learn that "here's a way you can improve" does not equal "you aren't doing a good enough job."

The prophet Alma had to learn this same lesson. After entering the city of Ammonihah, he was rejected and cast out. Feeling defeated, he left the city. I'm sure he considered himself a failure at that point. But then, an angel appeared to him with this counsel:

"Blessed art thou, Alma ; therefore, lift up thy head and rejoice for thou hast great cause to rejoice; for thou hast been faithful in keeping the commandments if God from the time which thou receivedst thy first message from him..." (Alma 8:15).

The angel tells Alma he's doing a GREAT job! He gives him a pat on the back (so to speak) and says that he is doing exactly what God wants him to do. But then, he gives Alma some direction on what he needs to do to improve:

"And behold, I am sent to command thee that thou return to the city of Ammonihah, and preach again unto the people of the city; yea, preach unto them. Yea, say unto them, except they repent the Lord God will destroy them" (Alma 8:16).

See? Alma was doing what God was asking him to do. Heavenly Father was proud of him and approved of what he was doing. But he was still encouraged to improve. But if we're doing well, then why are we asked to improve?

My home Bishop gave me this counsel. Each day, we can either take a step up, or a step down. Staying on the same step is not an option. I've seen that this is true. The minute I start to relax and entertain the thought that I'm doing everything right is the minute I begin to backslide. Improvement is the only way to keep from getting worse! I've come to know that the only way I will be able to become the person God wants me to be is if I keep trying to do more and improve.

So take a minute to give yourself a pat on the back. Think about all of the good things you're doing. Recognize that Heavenly Father is proud of you. And then, with that in mind, figure out how you can do better today than you did yesterday.
mormon.org

1 comment: