Thursday, January 16, 2014

Changing Nature

Nature: 1) basic quality of a thing. 2) inborn character. 3) kind; sort.

These are the first three definitions of the word "nature" in our little dictionary we have at our apartment. I've been thinking a lot about my nature lately. What is it?

My nature is me. It's who I am. It's not what I say or what I do. It's not who I want to be. It's the "inborn character" inside me. It's my talents and strengths, but it's also my weaknesses and flaws. It's deeply ingrained, and it's not easily changed. Which leads me to my second question:

How do I change it?

One of the most powerful speeches ever given was spoken from the top of a tower by Book of Mormon prophet, King Benjamin. Part of his sermon is one of the most famous and most quoted verses in the Book of Mormon:

"For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father" (Mosiah 3:19).

Human nature isn't always bad. It's often very good. It's good to be good-natured :) But I'm not talking about that right now. I'm talking about the natural responses and qualities in me that are selfish, crude, covetous, and carnal in nature. The weaknesses of man that are in each of us. Things that are ungodly. Things that need to change.

It's hard to change a nature! I don't know if you've ever tried it, but I've been trying and it is HARD. You can't just decide to change your nature. You can't even just start doing things differently and hope eventually it'll become a part of who you are. So how do we do it?!

In another Book of Mormon story, King Lamoni's father asks this very question: "...What shall I do that I may have this eternal life of which thou hast spoken? Yea, what shall I do that I may be born of God, having this wicked spirit rooted out of my breast, and receive his Spirit, that I may be filled with joy, that I may not be cast off at the last day? Behold, said he, I will give up all that I possess, yea, I will forsake my kingdom, that I may receive this great joy" (Alma 22:15)

I invite you to watch this video, and listen for the answer in the words of the living prophets:

 
 
 
The Atonement. Repenting, and aligning our will with His. That's the answer. The Atonement of Jesus Christ has the power to literally change us into "new creatures" (Mosiah 27:26). The Atonement has the power to change our nature. It does not happen overnight and it is not easy. There will be setbacks along the way. But it can be done. When we rely on Christ's Atonement, we can become the person that we want to be, which is the person that God wants us to be. That's what King Benjamin taught in Mosiah 3:19. After his sermon, this was the response of his people:
 
"And they all cried with one voice, saying: Yea, we believe all the words which thou has spoken unto us; and also, we know of their surety and truth, because of the Spirit of the Lord Omnipotent, which has wrought a mighty change in us, or in our hearts, that we have no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually" (Mosiah 5:2).
 
Their natures had been changed.
 
I believe the Atonement of Jesus Christ can change a person's nature. That's a big thing to do. My nature is so deeply ingrained in me that it's literally who I am. My nature is what I do without even thinking about it. My nature makes me do things even when I don't want to do them. My nature is a force to be reckoned with. It's a beast that does not want to leave, change, or be moved. But I believe the Atonement is stronger. The Atonement can win out. So that is now what I have set out to do: To, through the Atonement, change my nature.
 


1 comment:

  1. Great post Elder Hansen!! Actually, it's almost spooky how much your remarks relate to what I've been thinking about today. I would just suggest to anyone who feels like I do to re-read your previous post about patients. Could my nature change a little more quickly please?

    ReplyDelete